I took the root beer pulled pork recipe that put Kiss My Apron on the map and combined it with another popular recipe, the Taco Ring. WHEW! A great decision... This is a tasty dish to serve as an appetizer or as a main course.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours + 15 minutes
Serves 6-8 people
2 lbs of pork tenderloins - I prefer boneless
1 can root beer - A&W!
1 white onion, sliced & separated in two piles
1 tbs liquid smoke
1 cup of any bbq sauce -your choice! (I used Sweet Baby Rays - Sweet 'n Spicy)
Salt & Pepper
1/4 cup honey (optional)
2 tubes of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (a total of 16 rolls)
*1 Pizza stone
1.Spray your crock pot lightly with Pam. Place half of the sliced onions in the crock pot.
2. Season your pork with salt & pepper and place over the onions - add the remaining onions on top of the pork.
3. Pour can of root beer & liquid smoke into the crock pot.
4. Cook on LOW for 6 hours OR cook 1 hour on High and 3 hours on Low.
5. Remove pork from crock pot. Shred with fork and place in baking dish. Drain out root beer from crock pot but save some of the sliced onions and place them in baking dish as well. * You are done using the crock pot now.
6. Add your bbq sauce (& honey if you choose) and mix well in baking dish.
7. Broil in oven for 5 minutes and remove.
8. Place crescent rolls in the freezer while oven preheats to 425 degrees. On your pizza stone, overlap each triangular crescent roll in a circle around the stone (it will look like the shape of a Sun - see below)
9. Fill pork in circular rim of the crescent rolls, and fold over. * see below Season the ring with italian seasoning.
10. Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown.