Boneless Short Ribs
Cook time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
2 tbs olive oil
2 lbs boneless short ribs
1 large white onion, cut into large slices
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped in quarters
5 garlic cloves, whole
1 cup red wine
2 cups beef broth
6-7 sprigs of thyme, tied
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Cut meat into desired servings
Season meat generously with salt & pepper
2. Heat (an oven proof) large dutch oven on medium/high heat with olive oil. Sear meat until browned on all sides (~6-7 minutes total)
3. Remove meat and set aside. Add onion, carrots and garlic, cooking for about 3-4 minutes. Add meat back in, with red wine and bring to boil.
4. Lower to medium heat, adding thyme and beef stock. Bring liquid to a boil, then transfer pot to heated oven, letting cook for ~2 hours, until tender.
5. Remove meat from pot, and serve whole or shredded over risotto, couscous or mashed potatoes.
**Optional: Remove meat from pot, and use a hand mixer to transform onions, carrots, garlic and liquid into a gravy.