Okay, don't be frightened by the word blazin'.. This sauce is not that spicy but definitely has a kick to it! You can tweak the recipe to your liking of spice.
This broccoli cheese sauce is the killer topping to any hot dog. I'm a ketchup kinda gal but in this case, I will admit ketchup had not crossed my mind - not even once! I served these with homemade potato chips which you can see the recipe here.
Servings: tops about 4-6 dogs
Time: 4 minutes
4-6 hot dogs, my favorite ones are Omaha Steak brand
1 tbs salted butter
1 tbs flour
1/2 cup milk (*can substitute with heavy cream, just add a little hot water at the end to loosen sauce)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1. Cook hot dogs on grill (or indoors on a grill pan) - frozen dogs take about 12-15 minutes.
2. As the hot dogs are cooking, steam broccoli. Strain and chop into small bite size pieces.
3. Heat butter in small sauce pan on medium-low heat. Add flour and mix.. this will create a roux which is a thickener for the sauce.
4. Once the roux is bubbling and golden brown, add milk and frequently stir while bringing to a simmer. Stir in paprika and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat.
5. Stir cheese into milk mixture until well blended. Stir in broccoli.
6. Top on hot dogs and serve.