Last night's dream in particular was quite shocking to me. We all know any type of food creation is possible especially when it comes to being fried. You can deep fry almost anything, right?! Fried meatballs.. I have to admit I have never literally seen one.. not an image of one, or on a menu.. I have never even heard someone mention Fried Meatballs. In my dream, I was in a supermarket.. and I was cooking at a station (kind of like they do in those big stores like BJ's, Sam's Club, or Costco). I had my meat balls rolled, with chunks of garlic, butter in the center(?!), parsley, cheese, etc. (Instead of butter, I think it would be an awesome idea to get some mozzarella in the middle!) I was rolling them in an egg wash and bread crumbs - panko chipotle style bread crumbs - and then deep frying them. Customers were yelling at me for not having a sauce to serve them with, but were saying how great they tasted. I woke up so mind blown.... I googled fried meatballs right away, and couldn't believe my eyes! One of the pictures I found on image search, looked just like the ones in my dream!
This got me interested enough to try fried meatballs on my own, creating a new recipe. I think this is one of the best inspired recipe stories - I am thankful for being one of those people who remember every detail of their dreams!
This recipe makes about 16 medium/large meatballs or 22-24 small meatballs.
These can be ready in about 1 hour.
1 lb chopped ground beef (85% lean I used)
1 and 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
3 tbs ketchup
1 small yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup milk
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs fresh basil chopped
1 tbs oregano
1 tbs italian seasoning
1 to 2 tbs Garlic Salt
2 tbs ketchup
*MIX ALL OF THE ABOVE*
2 string cheese sticks, chopped into 15-18 pcs
1 cup flour
2 eggs, scrambled with 2 tbs water
Parmesan Cheese and fresh basil to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix the first 12 ingredients above.
2. Roll meat into golf ball sized balls - poke a hole with your finger to place a small piece of the cheese stick inside each meatball and continue to roll so that the cheese is no longer showing. Place on baking sheet (use foil over baking sheet if you prefer).
3. Bake in oven for 30 minutes and remove to cool for about 10 minutes.
4. Fill 3 separate trays (or bowls) with the flour, egg and water, panko bread crumbs.
*Start heating your oil for frying. You want the oil HOT, to 350 degrees. If you don't have a deep fryer you can use a sauce pot. Canola oil is a great deep frying oil because of it's low smoking point.
5. Dip each meatball in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.
6. Fry each batch (4-6 meatballs at a time) for 2 minutes until golden brown. Let sit on paper towel to cool.
7. Heat sauce in microwave for 4 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil or parsley.
Would be great over spaghetti or as an appetizer. I can see these being great for super bowl, served with tooth picks in each.
Hope you get to try these! We loved them!
I purchased these dipping trays at William Sonoma - so great for chicken cutlets too!
Kev loves his knives! lol ;)