Couscous can be very flavorful if you put a little effort in. It goes excellent with most seafood. Tonight, I chose tuna because my brother loves it - he was joining for dinner. Below are the recipes for the tuna, couscous and pineapple salsa. Hope you enjoy!
For the couscous-
1 cup Israeli couscous
3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbs EVOO
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 chicken stock bouillon packet (see pic attached)
1 1/4 cup water
For the tuna-
2-4 tuna steaks
Salt and pepper, season generously
1 tbs lime zest
2 tbs fresh lime juice
2-3 tbs olive oil (use with marinade brush)
For the pineapple salsa-
1/2 cup pineapple, cut into bite size pcs
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into bite size pcs
4 jalapeño slices, finely chopped
1-2 tbs cilantro, very finely chopped
1/2 tbs fresh lime juice
1 tsp sea salt
*Mix all ingredients together to create the salsa
1. Boil water and chicken bouillon packet. In a large saute pan, heat evoo and shallots on medium heat for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
2. After shallots are translucent and tender, add couscous, salt and pepper to taste. Stir well. Add boiling chicken broth water to the saute pan and simmer for 8-10 minutes on low heat.
3. While couscous is simmering, season tuna steaks with salt and pepper on both sides. Sprinkle tuna steaks with lime zest and lime juice on both sides. With a marinade brush, spread olive oil generously on both sides.
4. Heat large pan for a few minutes on medium-high heat. Once hot, add tuna steaks and saute for about 3 minutes on each side (more or less depending on thickness).
5. Place tuna over couscous on plate and top with pineapple salsa.
A heart shaped tuna for me :)