As the blizzard arrives, I needed something warm and creamy tonight. We are supposed to get up to 1 foot of snow here in NY. The grocery stores were swamped.. I never understood why people run for the eggs, milk and bread?! Does french toast really save lives? Kevin and I are all stocked up and ready - I am just hoping my boss doesn't make us go to work on dog sleds! But really, I am expecting some french toast in the morning now.
Beefy Mac and Cheese -
Servings: 6-10 (leftovers! woohoo!)
Time: 50 minutes
3/4 lb (or 12 oz.) of ground beef
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup water
1 small can of corn
1 box elbow noodles
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
Salt & Pepper, to taste
6 cups milk
16 oz (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Season beef with salt and pepper. In a medium fry pan on medium-high heat, brown chop meat. Drain grease and fat, and place back into pan. Add onion and water to beef and cook for an additional 5 minutes on medium heat - stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Heat canned corn in small sauce pan for a few minutes on medium heat. Once bubbling, strain and place with beef.
3. Cook noodles according to box.
4. While noodles are cooking, heat a large sauce pot. Melt butter, then add flour and mix to create a rue. Slowly add milk (about a 1/2 cup at a time). Keep stirring until thickened. Remove from heat.
5. Add cheese to milk mixture and stir until completely melted. Season with Salt and pepper.
6. Add beef/onion/corn, noodles and cheese sauce into a large casserole dish. Top with seasoned breadcrumbs.
7. Bake in oven for 30 minutes, then broil for an additional 3-4 minutes until golden brown.