Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 3 hours
-You will need-
2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup brown sugar
(original recipe uses regular sugar, your choice)
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
3 tbs apple cider vinegar
1/2 ground ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp water
1 qt White Rice - I use precooked from Chinese restaurant
*I've added the following:
Diced Water chestnuts (in can)
1 head of broccoli
1/2 cup of cashews (mmm!)
Scallions/Chives, finely chopped
1. Spray crock-pot before use. Rinse chicken and season with salt and pepper. Place in crock-pot.
2. In a medium bowl, mix brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and garlic. Make sure the sugar is well dissolved. Pour this sauce over the chicken in the crock-pot.
3. Cook on LOW for 3 hours. If you're home, turn over chicken halfway thru. If not, don't worry about it.
4. Remove chicken and chop or shred into bite size pieces - set aside. The liquid in the crock-pot is to be strained into a pan/skillet and brought to a boil. * while you're waiting for it to boil, start step 5 &6!
5. In a non-stick wok, heat some sesame oil (or 1 tbs butter) and cook broccoli & water chestnuts for about 5-7 minutes on medium, medium-low heat. Set aside and heat white rice in wok as well
6. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and water together. Slowly add to boiling sauce mixture and reduce heat down to a simmer.
7. Add chicken, broccoli, water chestnuts & cashews into mixture and keep on low until heated through.
8. Serve over white rice and garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.